You're considering an online course, but you're wondering why you would need it. You already have a degree. You bought into the old formula that degree = job. It's true that all you used to need was a degree from a respected university and your future with a good job was guaranteed.
India’s Skill Gap
By The Numbers
- A 2011 study estimated that only 25% of Indian engineering graduates were skilled enough to be employable.
- An even more alarming study by Aspiring Minds of over 36,000 engineering students in India showed that less than 5% of candidates could write the correct logic for a program, a basic requirement of any job in the field.
- A huge majority of young adults lack the skills to qualify for any employment after graduation from secondary and post-secondary studies.
- According to a National Survey Sample of 470 million youth, only 10% of young people of working age in India receive any kind of skills training at all.
This leaves a huge portion of youth in India unprepared for any skilled work, and unlikely to have a fulfilling future.
Graduates Need Skills And A Degree
- Around 66% of recent graduates of Indian universities felt unprepared for their first job, and especially felt that they lacked knowledge of their industry and working life in general.
- The government’s Skill India initiative recognizes this huge gap and is working to make training accessible to everyone.
- Skilling 500 million people by 2020 is an ambitious undertaking, but critical when India is about to receive a demographic dividend where 65% of the population will be under 35 and in the workforce.